UGC - Centre for Women's Studies
Centre for Women's studies (CWS) sponsored by the University Grants Commission has been established under XI Five Year Plan (2009) has been operational since 8 March 2010. The only one college in the entire state of Kerala got such a special recognition from UGC. Various Gender Sensitization Programmes and awareness classes for students, teachers, parents and community are the interior emphasize of the Centre for Women's Studies. The seminars and workshops completed under the aegis of the Centre for Women's Studies focused on Creating a Self- Autonomy among Women and Girls.
Center for Women's Studies employed an interdisciplinary approach in research, projects, orientation and awareness-building programmes, training Programmes. By facilitating research, extension works and Campus Film Festival on Women and their issues, centre for Women's Studies seek to enhance the visibility of women and gender issues inside the academic communities of the Universities, colleges and Local Communities. We have worked towards creating a platform for sensitizing parents of the students; members of self help groups and Schools in the Local Community.
Aims & Objectives
- To conduct need based gender sensitization programmes.
- To create awareness among the students on women's rights,status and to critically analyse women's issue.
- To undertake , promote and co-ordinate both fundamental and applied reasearch on women and development.
- Dr.Sinto P Anto (Director)
- Dr.Nisha Francis.O(Joint Director)
- Beny Paul E
- Chitra Chandran
- Macy Paul
Saying in nutshell, under the teaching programme CWS aims at to create awareness and to make the students familiar with women's issues and women's rights and to enable them critically analyze the Women's issues from right perspectives.
I .Certificate Course in Gender Sensitization
The Centre conducts Certificate Course in Gender Sensitization for students at post graduate level. The course started during the academic year 2012 - 2013. Syllabi for this course is prepared with the help of external faculties and are regularly reviewed and updated. This course provided a basic understanding to the students about the Concept of gender, Feminist theories, Women and law, leadership and communication skills, self defense moves and reproductive health and healthy living practices with a special focus on India. The participants are evaluated on the basis of examinations.
II. Training programs
- The center conducted a free tailoring training to women between 18 and 40 years on 1st November 2018 on wards
- UGC Centre for Women studies conducted a cloth bag making training for housewives living in near the college.The training enhanced the skills and helped them for self-employability.
UGC Centre for Women studies in collaboration with KILA organised a three day workshop on capacity building of elected women representatives in kerala with special focus on thrissur district.The program was inagurated by Krishnankutty,Corporation Ward Councellor, thrissur on 4/12/2018.Dr.sankar(former professor & scientist,dept of social science),Rismiya(training associate at IKM),Prof.Nirmala (vice president of JCI),Mr.Jomy P L,director(IMS),Mr.Ajith Kumar Menon(KILA),Dr.Bindu R(Associate professor,Dept of English,Kerala varma College) were the resource persons.
Events / Activities
Entrepreneurship Skill Training Programme for house wives
The UGC Centre for Women's studies organized a entrepreneurship skill training programme for housewives on 1st of November 2018.The core aim of this venture is to develop self-employable qualities among housewives.Ms.Princy was the chief trainer of the programme.
Three day workshop on capacity building of elected women representatives in kerala with special focus on thrissur district(4,5&6 December)
UGC Centre for womenstudies in collaboration with KILA organised a three day workshop on capacity building of elected women representatives in kerala with special focus on Thrissur district.The program was inagurated by Krishnankutty,Corporation ward counsellor at thrissur on 04/12/2018.The main theme of the programme was developing leaders through experience - based learning. The programme had three technical sessions. During the first session (04/12/2018) Empowering women in PRIs,Development Schemes and programs and self management skills were the topics discussed by the trainers helped women representatives to develop their skills. The ICT for the EWRS,Women and political empowerment,participatory planing and asset creation and LSGIs and transferred institutions were the topics discussed during the second session (05/12/2018) which helped to enhance their self managing skills.The last technical session(6/12/2018) was discussed about Laws for protection of women and children, Disaster management,communication skills and leadership skills which helped to encourage responsible leadership, critical thinking and the development of teamwork skills among women representaives.
Seminar on "Central government policies,schemes and information dissemination to the people"
A seminar was organized by the UGC Centre for Women’s Studies and Field out reach buerau under the ministry of information and broadcasting on the topic “Central government policies,schemes and information dissemination to the people” on 15-02-2019.The inaugural address was done by V.R.Ramachandran,RBI-designated financial literacy counsellor.An entertainment program on the theme WOMEN EMPOWERMENT was presented by the empanelled songs and drama troupes of the ministry of information and broadcasting.
The seminar was very informative to the students as it cover almost all topics related to central government policies,and the students participated enactively in this programme.
Training on Entrepreneurial Skill Development for housewives
UGC Centre for Women’s Studies organized a training on cloth bag making for the housewives living in the localities of college on 21st November 2018.
The Training programme was intended to empower women by making them self sufficient through hands on training of cloth bag making. The resource person described the methods to stitch the clothbag in diffrent ways.
Women's Day Celebrations
UGC Centre for women's studies celebrated international women's day on 8th march 2019.The program was inaugurated by Dr.Nisha Narendran MD DCH DNB,PGDAP DAA..She shared her experience both from family life and her profession as well.The class was very informative and students were actively participated.She awarded prizes for the winners of the different competitions held by CWS.
Thyroid detection camp
The UGC Centre for Women’s Studies in collaboration with NSS unit of the Vimala College,Lion's club and IMA blood bank Carry out the thyroid detection camp on 14th march 2019.it mainly for the pre marital PG students.
The programme aimed to aware the need of thyroid detection.The chief guest Dr,Nishi Roshni K(Additional Professor,OBG Govt.Medical college)discussed about the symptoms of the thyroids and its problems.
Purely academic as well as action research are being encouraged by the Centre
- Safety for women and girls in public places; a strategy for promoting equity and inclusion of women
- A sociological study on the empowerment of women through MGNREGS programme with special reference to Engandiyoor Panchayath
- A comparative study on the restrictions on married and unmarried women in family in Thrissur district
- A study on the awareness of mother about the role of family in child development
- A sociological study on women in agriculture and their problem with special reference to Thrissur district
- A sociological study on the feminization of poverty in the coastal areas
- Impact of social networking sites among the youth in Thrissur district
On-going Minor Research Projects by CWS
Attitude of Women towards In - migrant labourers in Kerala
On-Going Student Research
From its inception the Centre is providing financial assistance for the dissertations allied to women by postgraduate and undergraduate students of the college.
- Adoption experience and impact on adoptive mothers with special refernce to thrissur district by Irine jhonson
- A study on quality of worklife of salesgirls in textile retail outlets by Niranjana M.
- A study on the impact of socio-economic statusof women entreprenurs in small scale industries by Jishidha P.R
- Motivational factors and swot analysis of women entreprenurs in thrissur district by Shisma Kuriakose.
- A study on women empowerment through kudumbashree units with special reference to Adat grama panchayath by Selbi Davis K.